Condoville Art Display

Condoville Art Display
A taste of my artistry

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bummer - no condo art exhibition this summer

Real downer. Found out there won't be an art exhibition (and sale as the case may be) this summer between our condo building and the one next door. Go know why.

A couple of years ago, a few of the condo-ites living in the building next to us showed off their artistic renderings outdoors. Some people stopped to look them over while on their way to the pool including me. Last year somebody took charge and the event was expanded to include artists or people who believe they're artists, including those in our building. Loved the idea especially since I paint and the most difficult problem was to select canvases to frame. In the end I chose five landscapes and two floral paintings. Truly amazing the degree in which frames enhance a canvas. But I digress.

We were about fifteen artists with varying degrees of talent (painting is subjective as they say) and we set up our displays outside around the two condo buildings. In spite of perfect weather conditions, there really weren't a lot of visitors but it was wonderful to have strangers comment and examine one's work. The surprise was that I sold my first canvas. I'm told this means that I can call myself a professional artist, now. Go figure!

However, as is the case in life, nothing lasts forever and in this instance, not even for one year. A phone call to the man in charge last year who lives in the building next door to find out the exhibition dates, indicated that it wasn't to be. He mumbled something to the effect that there wasn't enough interest and other stuff I couldn't make out. His response was very vague, which indicates to me that perhaps - just perhaps - the artists living in the building next door want to keep the show solely for themselves. We'll see next month if this is the case when the exhibit usually takes place. I mean - even if they do set up shop, not much I can do. I suppose I could boycott them or make snide remarks about their art work... Or a better idea would be to find out if there's any artists living in our building and if so, we can set up our own show. We'll show them!

Meanwhile, no work has started on cleaning out the pool. It's still filled with yucky, grey, murky water. Hard to believe that it will be ready for swimming in a month. I've already washed the beach towels in preparation.

There's dandelions growing everywhere in wild abandon, since it's forbidden to use harmful weed killer. Meanwhile, the multi-color tulip display in the park accross the road is magnificent.

And so it goes...

No comments: